Our Conscious Gifting Tips
‘Tis the season of giving and what could be wrong with that? Nothing really, except it can get trashy. Between Thanksgiving and New Years Americans generate 25% more trash. Meaning that each week of the holiday season we could fill an additional 140,000 garbage trucks. From Single-use gift wrapping to the waste that comes with seasonal decorations and unwanted presents collecting dust in closets there are a few small changes you can make to help keep your holidays merry, bright, and waste-free.
- Get creative with gift wrapping and re-use materials from around your house. Some great options include old clothing, paper grocery bags, and natural materials you can forage (such as eucalyptus or pine)
- If you are unable to use gift wrapping you already have be sure to make eco-friendly choices when selecting materials. Avoid plastic tape and foil wrapping paper as it cannot be recycled.
- Think quality over quantity. Give gifts that you know they will actually use vs more things that will create more waste.
- Choose natural decorations, LED lights that use less energy, and re-use your decorations year after year. Artificial christmas trees need to be used on average 7 times in order to match the environmental impact of a real christmas tree.
- Not sure what to get them? Give them a digital gift card to ensure they’ll pick out something they’ll use or make a donation on their behalf to their favorite non-profit.